Sports Injury Care in West Babylon, NY
Dr. Chris Hansen is a respected West Babylon chiropractor who has worked with thousands of athletes over the years. These athletes represent a range of abilities and specialties—from elite level competitors to weekend warriors. While preventing sports injury is a major focus for Dr. Hansen, he can also use his natural services to help people recover from a sports injury.
Common Types of Sports Injury
Sports injuries occur in all types of sports—including both high and low impact activities. Here are a few types of sports injury which respond well to chiropractic care:
- Muscle strains
- Ligament Sprains
- Joint dislocations or subluxations (e.g., shoulder dislocation, facet joint lock in the spine)
- Bursitis (inflammation of small sacs found between some tendons and bones, which normally help reduce friction)
- Plantar fasciitis
- Shin splints
- Golfer's elbow and tennis elbow
The hallmark of many of these types of sports injury is inflammation and tissue damage. In the acute stages of injury, this can lead to swelling, redness, pain, and warmth. If the injury doesn't properly heal, however, long-term inflammation can develop and other chronic issues may arise, including weakness, stiffness, and long-lasting pain.
Risk Factors for Sports Injury
As mentioned, one of Dr. Hansen's main focus as a West Babylon chiropractor is to help people avoid sports injury before it occurs. A major part of this goal is to help people understand what's putting them at risk for developing an issue.
Common risk factors for sports injury (most of which are preventable) include:
- Poor posture and body mechanics
- Repetitive movements
- Over-training, doing "too much too soon" or trying to do more than what you are physically capable of (e.g., lifting too much weight when a technique isn't dialed down)
- Running surface and equipment
- Sports injury accidents, e.g., collisions, awkward falls or pivots
- Poor nutrition, hydration, sleep, and recovery
- Prior sports injury
How Our Chiropractor in West Babylon Treats and Prevents Sports Injury
First things first: if you're in pain, our chiropractor in West Babylon wants to get you out of it! He uses natural and non-invasive techniques like chiropractic adjustments, traction, joint manipulation, cold laser therapy, cryotherapy, and trigger point therapy to jumpstart the healing process and get you out of discomfort as soon as possible so you can get back to participating in the activities you love.
Dr. Hansen also provides other techniques including nutritional counseling, corrective exercises, and even custom orthotics, to prevent recurring injuries and maximize the mobility, strength, and endurance of the affected tissues so you'll be less likely to be benched by injury in the future!
Is a Sports Injury Holding You Back?
Contact Hansen Chiropractic at (631) 321-5400 to schedule an appointment with our chiropractor in West Babylon NY today.